I love this recipe because it’s really easy, it’s made with feel-good ingredients, and most importantly – it’s absolutely delicious! There’s something about the flavor combination of sweet vanilla, toasty cinnamon and that hint of orange… It’s a match made in heaven, I tell you!
This french toast recipe is also super unique not only for the flavor, but also because it doesn’t require eggs. I know – who would have thought it was possible to make french toast without them?! We’re using protein and fiber-rich garbanzo bean flour (aka chickpea flour) instead. Bob’s Red Mill is a brand that can be found in most grocery stores in the baking aisle or, of course, on amazon.com.
This is how you make this scrumptious breakfast delight:
1) Start by heating up your griddle or a large frying pan on medium heat. Then, lightly coat the surface with oil or cooking spray.
2) In a shallow bowl or pie pan, whisk together all of the ingredients, aside from the bread.
3) Then, take a slice of bread and dip it into the creamy mixture. Give the bread a light nudge to ensure it’s well coated. Flip the bread over to drench the other side, too.
4) Gently transfer the bread to the hot skillet.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining slices of bread.
5) After approximately 3 minutes, flip to cook the other side. Each side should be golden brown with slightly crispy edges when it’s done.
6) Transfer the toast to a plate and then, if you so desire (like I do), drizzle with a bit of maple syrup. It doesn’t need much, as the French toast is pretty darn sweet and flavorful by itself.
I hope you love it as much as we do!
Vegan Cinnamon Orange French Toast
Makes 8 Pieces
- 2 cups Sweetened Vanilla flavored Non-Dairy Milk**
- 1/2 cup Garbanzo Bean Flour (which you can buy HERE)
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract (I like THIS kind)
- 1 Tb. + 1 tsp. of Orange Zest (approximately zest from two medium oranges)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 tsp. of Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Ground Cloves (optional)
- 8 Pieces of Whole Grain Bread or Gluten-free Bread
**Can’t find sweetened vanilla non-dairy milk? No prob! Simply use unsweetened non-dairy milk and then add two tablespoons of maple syrup and an extra 1/2 tsp. of vanilla to the batter mixture.