By far, my favorite thing about summer is the amazing fruit and vegetables in season! We wait so many months for them and rejoice when they arrive and beautify our produce sections.
Therefore, I felt it was absolutely and totally necessary to take two of my summer fruit favorites, peaches and strawberries, and use them in the glorious salad you see pictured above. And as per usual, this recipe is super simple, yet packed with many flavors and textures (as any salad should be!). Here is the recipe:
1. First, prepare the glazed almonds by placing them in a dry frying pan over medium heat to begin the toasting process. Meanwhile, lay a 12-inch square of parchment paper nearby.
2. Once the almonds start to toast and turn a light brown color, add your honey or maple syrup, stir until almonds are coated and then turn them out onto the parchment paper to cool. Spread them out as much as you can (they’ll be quite sticky!) and then lightly sprinkle with salt.
3. Next, place your baby romaine in a medium sized mixing bowl….
… And then, toss with your desired amount of balsamic dressing.
4. Since I like to give guests their own individual little salads (it’s a great way to encourage your family to eat more salad!) the next step for me is to divide the dressed greens amongst four little bowls, but feel free to keep it all in one big bowl if you so choose.
5. Next, add one tablespoon of beans to each bowl.
6. Then ¼ of the chopped peach and one chopped strawberry per bowl, too.
7. Next, add 1 tsp. of raisins to each lil’ bowl. (If you’re not planning on serving the salads right away, stop here and place the salads in the fridge until you’re ready for them.)
Strawberry Peach Salad with Glazed Almonds
5 – 6 big handfuls of Baby Romaine (or lettuce of your choice)
2-Minute Balsamic Dressing (recipe below)
1 ripe peach, cut into ½-inch chunks
4 medium or large strawberries, cut into ½-inch chunks
4 T. cannellini beans (I use organic canned beans, rinsed)
4 tsp. raisins
3 T. sliced almonds
1 T. honey or maple syrup
Pinch of salt
2-Minute Balsamic Dressing
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
¼ tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1 date, pitted and chopped OR 1 tsp. of sugar
Blend all 4 ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth! Note: If you don’t have a blender handy, use a whisk and opt for the sugar instead of the pitted date.
*You can find flat parchment sheets HERE