There are countless reasons why I love black beans and therefore, black bean burgers! From a nutrition standpoint, black beans are loaded with protein and fiber, which means they’re pleasantly filling and satisfying. Yet these bad boys are quite low in calories too! Besides that, they taste delicious – especially when combined with brown rice, sweet corn and a small selection of Southwest inspired flavor-packed spices. Which is why I created the unbelievably quick and Easy Southwest Black Bean Burger recipe you’ll see below!
Here’s how I go about it…
1. First, drain and rinse your black beans.
2. Next, in a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed meal and warm water. Give it a little stir and then let it be until you need it later.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, pour in those black beans and then lightly mash them up with a potato masher or a fork, allowing for some beans to remain partially intact.
4. Next, add the corn, spices, salt and sugar…
Lastly, add the brown rice and the ground flaxseed concoction to the bowl. Once it’s all in there, stir until just combined.
5. At this point, you’ll want to give the mix a taste to see if the salt level is on point. Add an additional pinch if you think it needs it and then gently stir again.
6. Now would be the time to start heating up a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, if you so desire.
7. While the skillet is prepping, divide the mixture up and form into equal sized patties. Next, lay those suckers right onto the hot skillet.
You’ll want these burgers to cook low and slow to ensure the middle is warmed through. After about 5 minutes, give them a flip!
8. While those patties are cooking, start getting your condiments and any other special additions ready. Most people I serve these black bean burgers to enjoy the “toasted wheat bun” route that I often take. I just add about a teaspoon or so of buttery-type spread to each half of the bun and then I let them toast ever so slightly on that heated pan.
When it comes to topping these burgers, I’m a big fan of sliced heirloom tomatoes when in season…
and Bibb lettuce and avocado too!
FYI – I did a little experimenting recently and found that adding a bit of ketchup or BBQ sauce is fantastic, as their sweetness compliments the sassy spiciness of these black bean babies quite nicely!
And there you have it – a savory and delicious bean burger that will impress both the carnivores and vegetarians in your life. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Easy Southwest Black Bean Burgers
Makes 6 patties
- 2 cans of black beans, organic if possible, drained
- 2 T. ground flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (thawed), organic if possible
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, completely cooled (heat up the frozen type when in a pinch!)
- Cooking spray for your skillet or griddle
- 4 tsp. onion powder
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp. salt
Special Additions: Whole wheat buns, lettuce, tomato and any other toppings you may desire, such as avocado, mustard or a lil’ ketchup or BBQ sauce!
Watch this video to see how I make these black bean burgers!