The only thing better than a homemade, crunchy, salty chip is a super quick and easy homemade, crunchy, salty chip! That’s why I’m sharing this recipe with you; because you deserve to have these salt-tooth satisfying crunchy chips in your life in 20 minutes or less. The added bonus, (as if you need one) is that while these little babies are baking, your entire house will smell as though you have a loaf of fresh bread in the oven. The aroma will have your loved ones flocking to the kitchen; I know because I witnessed it myself yesterday as I baked up these glorious pita chips!
Let’s not dilly-dally, then! Here’s how to make them…
1. First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Then, cut each pita into 8 triangles.
2. At this point, you have a choice: would you like thicker, heartier pita chips or slightly thinner and crispier pita chips? If you want thick/hearty, leave the triangles as they are. If you’d like thinner/crispier, carefully separate the pita triangles so that they are no longer double stacked.
3. Next, lay those triangles down in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
4. Drizzle the 1 T. olive oil evenly over the pieces and then use your finger tips to rub the oil over both sides of every triangle.
5. Lastly, sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over one side of the pita pieces.
6. Pop those lil’ chips-to-be in your preheated oven. If you’re making the thicker chips, bake for about 15 minutes or until the edges are browned. For thinner chips, bake for about 8-10 minutes. Once they’re cool enough to handle, take a nibble to make sure your salt and pepper level is on point. Add extra as needed. FYI – some parts may be a little chewy fresh out of the oven, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but they will become crunchier as they cool.
That’s all there is to it! These salt and pepper chips go deliciously well with my garlic-y homemade hummus, a smoked eggplant dip, guacamole, or all by themselves.
I hope you love them as much as we do!
Crunchy Salt and Pepper Pita Chips
Makes 24 Thick Chips or 48 Thinner Chips
- 3 Pitas (I used whole wheat)
- 1 T. Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste (freshly ground, if possible)