Every now and then it’s nice to switch up the dinner routine and make something fun and completely different. But if you’re like me, then you’ll agree that even when we venture out like that, a recipe still needs to be these three things: simple, fast and comfort food-status-delicious!
Thankfully, these savory falafel waffles are a perfect option. They are jam-packed with flavor like any traditional falafel, except that their texture is light and crispy with a soft, warm center, just as any waffle should be. As a topping, we have a creamy, nutty tahini sauce that takes all of that flavor to the next level. Add some cold and crunchy diced vegetables to round things out, and you have an easy yet scrumptiously out of the ordinary dinner on the table in no time.
This is how you make them:
1. First, start heating your waffle iron. Then, in a small bowl combine the almond milk and lemon juice and set aside. It will start to curdle, but don’t worry – this is what we want to happen!
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Then, add the milk/lemon juice mixture as well as the oil and water. Stir until all flour is incorporated and then set this waffle batter aside for 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, make the tahini sauce by combining all six ingredients. Stir until completely smooth and then set it aside, as well.
FYI – Don’t have the ingredients for the Tahini Sauce on hand? No worries! Store bought hummus makes a great substitute. Or, you can whip up my recipe for Garlicy Homemade Hummus!
4. Next, lightly grease your heated waffle iron via oil-dipped pastry/basting brush, or by using good ol’ cooking spray. Then, add waffle batter to the iron until about 2/3 full.
Lower the lid and let that waffle iron work it’s magic! You want the waffles to be golden brown and crispy, which usually takes about 6-8 minutes in my iron.
5. While you wait, take this opportunity to chop some veggies for your topping. I like cucumbers and tomato, but feel free to get creative! (A romaine based salad such as a Greek salad would be a delicious topping, as well.)
6. When the waffle is done, carefully remove it from the iron with a fork. Repeat this process until all of the batter is transformed into golden falafel waffles. Just be sure to re-grease the iron before making each one!
Keep the waffles warm by placing them on a cooling rack-lined baking sheet in an oven heated to its lowest setting.
7. When you’re ready to eat, drizzle your waffles with a good amount of Tahini Sauce.
Then add the chopped vegetables.
That’s all there is to it! Delicious, soul-warming Falafel Waffles with Tahini Sauce.
I hope you love them as much as we do!
Vegan Savory Falafel Waffles with Tahini Sauce
Makes about 5 Waffles
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Original Almond Milk
- 2 T. Fresh or Bottled Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Garbanzo Bean Flour (you can buy my favorite brand HERE)
- 1/2 cup Regular or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Dried Parsley
- 3 tsp. Cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. Powdered Onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. Coriander
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 T. Olive Oil
- 1 cup Water
- Topping: Veggies such as Tomato and Cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup Tahini (which you can buy HERE)
- 1/4 cup Fresh or Bottled Lemon Juice
- 2 1/2 tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Sugar
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
Watch this video to see how I make these falafel waffles!