The holiday season is officially here, which also means it’s now Christmas Cookie Season! If you’re like me, baking, sharing and eating scrumptious cookies is one of the best things to do this time of year. And I have to say – I’ve been dying to share this new recipe with you!
These Peppermint Chocolate Chunk Brownie Cookies are like a soft, warm blanket of chocolatey, candy cane brownie cookie goodness. They are loaded with rich chocolate chunks but also offer that perfect amount of fresh peppermint and a hint of salt. Combine those flavors with the softness of the brownie cookie itself and the crunch from the candy cane pieces that sit so beautifully on top, and you have a cookie that’s perfect as an addition to an assortment of home baked Christmas cookies or offered all on their own. (Bonus: they are free of dairy and gluten, which means they can be enjoyed by those who aren’t able to or prefer not to eat those foods – woo hoo!)
Here is the recipe:
1. First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and then prep two baking sheets by lining both with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Next, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: Both flours, both sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. Then, add the liquid ingredients to that bowl: Canola oil, peppermint extract and the flaxseed/water mixture. Add the chocolate chunks, as well, and then stir until all flour is incorporated.
4. Place cookie dough in the form of 12 -13 equal sized balls on the parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake in your preheated oven for about 14 minutes or until the surface of the cookies is matte rather than shiny.
5. Immediately upon removal from the oven and while the cookies are still on the baking sheets, top each cookie with the candy pieces and lightly press down so they stick to the cookie’s surface.
6. Afterwards, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and prepare yourself for some chocolatey-peppermint magic! FYI – When it comes to storage, hold off from storing in ziplocks or plastic storage containers, otherwise the cookies may become overly chewy and the candy cane pieces will lose their crunch.
I hope you and yours love these cookies as much as we do!
Peppermint Chocolate Chunk Brownie Cookies
Makes 12 – 13 Cookies
- 3 tsp. Finely Ground Flaxseed
- 3 T. Water
- 1/4 cup (40 g) Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (108 g) Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup (26 g) Oat Flour
- 2/3 cup (116 g) Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (24 g) Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 tsp. Peppermint Extract
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chunks (I like Enjoy Life brand which you can buy HERE)
- 1/3 cup + 1 T. Canola Oil (organic, if possible)
- 1/4 cup Peppermint Candy Cane pieces (about two 14 gram candy canes, chopped)
**If chocolate chunks can’t be found, roughly chop a couple bars of 70% dark chocolate.