Of all the plant based burger options available these days, Beyond Meat is one of the most popular. The number one ingredient in these raw patties is nonGMO pea protein, and they look A LOT like animal-based burgers due to their pink color and meat-like texture. As for taste, Beyond Meat burgers have a flavor profile similar to burgers cooked right on the BBQ, even if they’re prepared stove top in a frying pan!
What’s great is that these Beyond Meat patties are not only widely available at fast food chains and sit down restaurants now, but also in grocery stores. They are often found either right next to the animal meat department or in the meat alternatives section.
And since I’ve noticed that more and more grocery stores now carry Beyond Meat patties, I figured it was high time I created a recipe using this plant based meat!
Which brings me to the recipe I’m sharing today: Beyond Meat Meatloaf Burgers – a recipe that transforms four Beyond Meat patties into six hearty, tender and super flavorful meatloaf inspired burgers.
The added bonus? They are ridiculously easy and quick to make! Check this out…
1. First in a small bowl, add the ground flaxseed and the water, and set it aside for at least two minutes.
2. In the meantime, add all of the remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Afterwards, add the flaxseed/water mixture and stir again.
2. Start warming a skillet or frying pan over medium heat and lightly spray the surface with oil. This oil will prevent sticking and also help create a nice crispy texture to the surface of the burgers.
3. Form the Beyond Meat mixture into six patties and then gently add them to your hot skillet. You may need to cook them in two batches, depending on the size of your pan.
4. Cook these burgers on each side for about four to five minutes.
Note – they’ll still have a slightly pink color even when they’re done cooking. This is partly due to the ketchup in the recipe!
5. Sprinkle the top of each patty with a little salt and pepper before serving.
6. Optional but recommended step: After removing the burgers from the skillet, add your burger buns to the pan cut side down so they become all nice and toasty! This really adds a nice extra touch.
7. Lastly, build your burgers with the toppings of your choice. I like lettuce along with either bbq sauce or ketchup… or sometimes both! Jeff likes the flavor of the burgers so much on their own, that he’ll often enjoy a patty all by itself with no bun or toppings. I actually do that sometimes, too.
And that’s all there is to it… warm, comforting meatloaf in plant based burger form!
Jeff and I LOVE this recipe, and I certainly hope that you do, too! If you decide to try it out, please let me know what you think in the comments below.
Beyond Meat Meatloaf Burgers
Makes 6 burger patties
- Two 8oz. packages of Beyond Meat Plant Based Burger Patties
- 2 Tb. Ground Flaxseeds
- 4 Tb. Water
- 1/2 0f a Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (Dry) Quick Oats
- 4 Tb. Ketchup
- 4 tsp. of Soy Sauce (or Tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 scant tsp. of Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- Salt and pepper for sprinkling at the end
Optional: Burger buns of choice plus toppings such as lettuce, BBQ sauce and/or ketchup.