The Best Vegan and Gluten Free Pecan Pie
This easy-to-make pie is like a butterscotch pecan party in your mouth! You would never guess in a million years that it's vegan and gluten free. It's the perfect pie for any holiday party or Thanksgiving table.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Resting/Chill Time4 hrs
Total Time5 hrs
Servings: 1 pie
- One Prepared Pie crust (the sides of the pie pan and crust need to be at least 2 inches tall)
- 1 1/3 cup Canned Coconut Milk be sure to shake can well before opening, and then stir well before measuring.
- 6 Tb Corn Starch (nonGMO, if possible)
- 4 Tb Non-Dairy Butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tb Bourbon (optional but recommened)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 cup Pecans (whole or pieces - up to you!)
Prepare my recipe The Best Gluten free and Vegan Pie Crusts in a pie pan with sides at least 2 inches tall.
Afterwards, keep that oven on at 350º
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and coconut milk. It's ok if there are some remaining small lumps.
In a saucepan on the stove, combine the non-dairy butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, and salt and whisk continuously until the butter is melted. Then, bring the mixture to a low simmer.
Next, add the coconut milk / cornstarch mixture as well as the bourbon and continue to whisk until completely smooth and the mixture starts to thicken and bubble around the edges, about 4-5 minutes. It's important that you continue whisking and never walk away during this process. Do not add in the vanilla extract just yet!
As soon as it starts to bubble, immediately remove the mixture from heat and then stir in the vanilla extract.
Pour this luscious filing into your prepared pie crust.
Carefully place your whole pecans on the surface in any design that you like. Alternatively, you can chop the pecans and carefully spread them evenly across the surface.
Bake this pie in your preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until it's very bubbly and there is very little giggle in the middle.
Remove the pie from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Allow it to cool completely, about 3-4 hours.
Chill in the fridge for at least an hour.. This will allow for perfect and precise pie slices. If you're in a hurry, place the cooled pie in the freezer for 30 minutes instead. Afterwards, the pie can sit at room temperature.
Enjoy with my 2-ingredient vegan whipped cream or any non-dairy ice cream!
- When it comes to whiskey, you don't need anything complicated - something along the lines of Jameson will do!
- When shopping, make sure to purchase canned full fat coconut cream found in the baking aisle (not lite coconut cream or coconut milk in the nondairy milk section.)
- When making the filling, continue whisking JUST until it starts thicken, do not walk away!
- Be sure to remember to add the vanilla extract right after you remove the pie filling from the heat.
- Soak your saucepan in warm or hot water as soon as you empty the pie filling into the crust - this will make clean up a lot easier.