Purple Blueberry Oatmeal
A healthy, delicious and fun breakfast recipe doesn't need to be time consuming or complicated! This recipe for Purple Blueberry Oatmeal is the perfect example. In fact, it's so great that my twin three year old sons eat it for breakfast almost every single day! But don't worry - this recipe is perfect for kids and adults alike.
Servings: 1 adult serving (or 2 little kid servings)
- 1/3 c. rolled old fashioned oats or oat bran (37 g)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice use instead of cinnamon, if desired
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 c. water (158 ml)
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 c. frozen wild blueberries
- splash of non-dairy milk
- sweetener of choice
- *For those who would like a slightly larger portion up the oats to 1/2 cup and the water to one full cup. (40 g)
In a microwave safe bowl, add the oatmeal or oat bran, cinnamon, salt and water.
Microwave on high for about one minute and forty seconds, but watch the last few moments to make sure it doesn't overflow! Alternatively, you can cook your oats via stove top according to the package directions.
Afterwards, add the ground flaxseed, frozen wild blueberries, and splash of nondairy milk and stir well to combine.
Add sweetener, if you so desire! My boys prefer good ol' maple syrup.
- When it comes to sweeteners, my favorites are maple syrup, monk fruit, or coconut sugar!
- If you're craving a little crunch, try adding in some chopped almonds or walnuts.
- You can double or triple this recipe for meal prepping! Keep the leftovers in the fridge and reheat when you're ready to eat.