Purple Snack Shakes
Packed with nourishing and delicious ingredients (along with one surprising one!), these vegan Purple Snack Shakes are the perfect sweet snack for any time of the day.
Servings: 2 18 oz. shakes or four 9 oz. shakes
- 2 1/2 c. non-dairy milk (592 ml)
- 1/2 c. canned no-salt-added white beans (cannellini and navy beans work well) drained and rinsed*
- 3 dates pitted and roughly chopped*
- 2 - 2 1/2 c. fresh or frozen mixed berries (such as blueberries, raspberries and strawberries)
- 1 c. frozen spinach
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (15 ml - 30 ml)
- *Alternatively, you can use a scoop of vanilla plant based protein powder instead of the beans. If your protein powder is sweetened, leave out the dates.
- These shakes can be made ahead of time, but are best if kept cold and consumed within 3 days.
- Make sure your canned beans have no salt added - this is very important!
- I like using frozen mixed berries in this recipe, but you can use solely blueberries, if you like. Keep in mind your shake might turn out more blue than purple in this case.
- If you're new to using apple cider vinegar, just use 1 Tb. in your shakes, otherwise the flavor may seem overpowering. Or, simply use lemon juice instead.
- To make your shakes a little bit sweeter, you can add one or two more pitted dates.