Vegan Pumpkin Ice Cream
This ice cream is thick and creamy and perfectly pumpkin spiced! You'd never guess that it's vegan.
Servings: 8 Large Scoops
- 1 c. raw / unroasted, unsalted cashews **See note below
- 1 13.5 oz. / 400 ml can coconut cream found in the baking aisle
- 1/3 c. + 2 Tbsp. maple syrup (79 ml)
- 1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree (149 ml)
- 1/4 c. brown sugar (54 g)
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, alcohol free if possible
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- **If you don't own a professional high speed blender such as a Vitamix, skip the cashews and add an extra cup (237 ml) of canned coconut cream, instead.
First, place your cashews in a bowl and cover them with about 2 1/2 cups of water. Allow them to soak for at least 6 hours but no longer than 24 hours. Note: if you don't own a professional grade blender such as a Vitamix, replace the cashews with extra coconut cream, as noted in the ingredients.Also - if you use the type of ice cream maker that requires a frozen base in order to make the ice cream, place that base in your freezer for at least 6 hours, as well.
Place all ingredients, including the soaked and drained cashews, in a high speed blender. Blend on high until the mixture is completely smooth.
Pour that mixture into your ice cream maker (I like THIS brand) and churn your ice cream until it's thick. For me, it usually takes about 20-25 minutes, but some ice cream makers may take longer.
At this point, what you have is similar to soft serve, so for firmer, more traditional ice cream, place it in the freezer in an airtight container and allow it to freeze for at least four hours.
- If you don’t have an ultra high-speed blender such as a Vitamix, I recommend substituting the cashews with an additional one cup of canned coconut cream.
- Be sure to buy plain pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling for this recipe.
- Enjoy this vegan frozen treat within two weeks of making and freezing.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 240mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 2mg