Get ready to impress your family and friends with a veggie burger that’s:
- Loaded with a variety of flavors ranging from sweet to tangy to savory.
- Easy to make (but doesn’t appear that way!)
- Made with ingredients you can feel good about.
I’m telling you, these Sweet Potato Bean Burgers are a winner all around!
This is how you make them:
1. First, roast two large or three medium sized sweet potatoes (poked several times with a fork) in a 375 degree oven for about 45 – 60 minutes. They’ll be very soft and fork tender when they’re done. BTW – You may not need to use ALL of the cooked sweet potato, but it’s good to play it safe. After all, it’s better to have too much than not enough, right?
2. Next, combine the water and ground flaxseed in a small bowl and then set it aside for now.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, place your garbanzo beans and mash them up with a potato masher or large fork, leaving some beans partially intact.
4. Next to that bowl, add your cooked sweet potato, dry oats, 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs, onion, spices and salt. Lastly, add the flaxseed/water mixture and then stir it all together.
5. Form this mixture into four equal-sized patties. Then, coat each side with bread crumbs and then put them in a lightly oiled pan over medium-high heat.
6. While those cakes are cookin’, prep your Maple Dijon Sauce by combining the maple syrup and mustard in a small bowl.
7. After approximately 5 – 7 minutes, those cakes will be ready for a flip!
8. While you’re waiting for the second side to cook, prep your other toppings. We keep it simple in our house; just some lettuce, tomato and sometimes a bit of sliced avocado!
9. Once those sweet ‘tato bean burgers form a nice crispy brown surface on each side, remove them from the pan and sprinkle them with a small pinch of salt and pepper.
10. If you’re like me and love a toasted bun, now would be the time to place those buns in your hot pan to lightly toast on each side.
11. The last step? Place those burgers on your buns, drizzle with plenty of Maple Dijon Sauce, load up your toppings, and prepare yourself for a hearty and delicious burger!
FYI – this recipe can also be used to make a killer appetizer or side dish! Just form the mixture into small cakes instead of patties.
The variety of colors, textures and flavors will have your family and friends begging for seconds.
Oh – and if you’re looking for a great dessert that will continue to “wow” your group, go for my Single Serving Apple Crisps!
Sweet Potato Bean Burgers
Makes 4 Burgers or 8 mini Patties
- ½ Tb. Ground Flaxseed
- 1 ½ Tb. Water
- 1 1/3 cup Cooked Sweet Potato
- 1 cup Canned Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tb. Dry Quick Oats
- 2 T. + 1/3 c. (divided) Bread Crumbs – regular, panko, whole wheat or gluten-free all work!
- 1-2 T. Finely Chopped White or Yellow Onion
- 3/4 tsp. of EACH Cinnamon, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, and Salt
Maple Dijon Sauce
- 1/3 c. Maple Syrup
- 1/3 c. Dijon Mustard