There are so many creatively scrumptious flavors of cupcakes out there these days, especially since there are a ton of cupcake shops open now as well as cupcake competition shows on TV to offer inspiration! (By the way, I’m still waiting for someone to come out with a maple and tempeh “bacon” cupcake… anyone else? I think I may just do it myself! )
But, sometimes you just need a pure and simple, yet, fantastically delicious vanilla cupcake. In fact, this happens to be Jeff’s favorite flavor of cake. He certainly loves his chocolate, too, but when it comes to choosing his birthday cake every year, the answer is always the same: “I’d like vanilla cake with vanilla frosting, please.” (He’s so polite, isn’t he?)
So without further ado, here is my recipe for Perfectly Vanilla Cupcakes:
1. First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, line 12 spots in a cupcake tin with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients: almond milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and oil. Set aside. You may notice the milk will start to curdle, but don’t worry! It’s suppose to.
3. In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Stir well.
4. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while stirring. Make sure all flour is scraped from the sides and bottom of the bowl. Do your best not to over mix, though, you crazy kid!
5. Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners just until they are about 3/4 full. Filling them any higher than this could lead to mega rising and spilling over the sides during baking, which then leads to not-so-pretty (aka “Fugly”) cupcakes! Use a second cupcake tin with extra paper liners, if needed.
6. Bake on the top rack of your preheated oven for 19-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted down the center of each cupcake comes out clean with no batter. Allow them to sit in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack.
7. Cool completely before frosting, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours. In the meantime, enjoy the glorious smell of freshly baked cupcakes that has surely permeated your home!
You’ll find the recipe for Sweet Vanilla Frosting below.
For a GLUTEN FREE version of this recipe, please click HERE.
Perfectly Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups (260 grams) All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tb. (175 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Unsweetened Original Almond Milk
- 1 Tb. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tb. + 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract (I like THIS kind)
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil (organic, if possible, to avoid GMO’s)
Sweet Vanilla Frosting
Makes frosting for 12 cupcakes
- 2/3 cup Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tb. Unsweetened Original Almond Milk
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- Using an electric stand or hand mixer, cream the shortening on a medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Then, add half of the powdered sugar and half of the almond milk and mix on high for about 30 seconds.
- Next, add the salt and remaining sugar and almond milk. Mix on high again for another 30 seconds. If you feel the frosting should be slightly thicker, add a spoonful or so more of powdered sugar. For slightly thinner frosting, add a splash or two of almond milk – but be careful – a little goes a long way!
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spoon or spatula and incorporate what was stuck to the sides into the frosting.
- Frost cupcakes the old fashioned way with a butter knife or offset spatula, or, put your fancy pants on and place the frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a decorating tip!