Sometimes life just calls for a buttery, moist and delicious treat (typically in cake form) that can be made simply and easily with just a handful of ingredients. Enter this pound cake recipe, which is astonishingly vegan and gluten free!
I have to say, I love this pound cake… it is truly comfort food defined. In fact, I even made this for a party at my three year olds’ school (with berries on top), and the class of kids ate every crumb!
It is a winner of a recipe, and we never get tired of it in the Dunham household. Jeff and I especially love the sweet lemon glaze; it tastes so fresh and it takes this cake to a whole new level! Seriously, this cake is nuts. Please make it. 🙂
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. Grease a loaf pan with vegan butter and set it aside for now (this is an important step!)
3. Combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set that aside for now as well.
4. In a mixing bowl, add the softened butter and beat with a hand or stand mixer on high for about 20 seconds.
5. Then, add the sugar and vanilla and mix for another 20 seconds or so.
6. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then, add half of this dry mix to the bowl with the butter mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined. Then, add the second half of the dry mix and mix again. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
7. Next, add the almond milk mixture to the bowl and mix on a medium speed just until all of the flour is incorporated.
8. Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth over the surface with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
9. Bake in your preheated oven for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted down the center comes out free of batter. FYI – Since most ovens heat unevenly, it’s best to rotate the pan at about the 30 minute mark.
10. Once it’s done baking, place the pan on a cooling rack. Once cool enough to handle (after about 15 minutes), remove the cake from the pan by placing the cooling rack up-side-down over the top of the loaf pan and then quickly flip it over. Once the cake is removed, carefully flip it so it’s right side up on the cooling rack.
11. While the cake is cooling, make your lemon glaze. Simply blend all ingredients together with an electric mixer until combined.
12. After the cake is completely cool, liberally drizzle on your lemon glaze while it’s still on the cooling rack. (You may want to place parchment paper underneath to catch the drips!) Since I usually have some glaze left over, I’ll let the first layer completely dry, and then add a second layer of glaze on top of that. After all, you can never have enough glaze!
13. Once the glaze is dry, using a spatula, carefully transfer the cake to an airtight container or your serving plate of choice. Cover in plastic wrap or foil until ready for use. Enjoy!
Vegan + GF Pound Cake
Makes one loaf
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1 Tb. Apple Cider Vinegar (which you buy HERE)
- 1/2 c + 2 Tb. (136g) Vegan butter, set out at room temp for 30 minutes
- 1 c + 1 Tb. (220g) Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (I like THIS kind)
- 1 3/4 c. (265g) Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
*You can find flat parchment sheets HERE
- Zest from 1/2 a Medium or Large Lemon
- 1 Tb. Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 c Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tb. Almond Milk