If you’re a fan of ginger snaps (aka: ginger cookies) especially the super soft and chewy type, then boy do I have a recipe for you! These Soft and Chewy Vegan Ginger Snap cookies are a wondrous treat to enjoy especially during the holiday season due to their sparkling snow-like sugar exterior and blast of ginger and cinnamon-y sweetness you get with each bite.
Jeff and I both agree that these cookies go splendidly with a hot cup of coffee or tea, and their large size certainly adds to the fun, too!
Honestly, if you bake just one batch of cookies this holiday season, consider these cookies – (and that’s coming from a dedicated chocolate chip cookie lover!)
This is how you make them:
1. First, preheat your oven to 375º. Then, line two baking sheets with parchment paper. (FYI – if you have nonstick baking sheets, the parchment paper is optional! I like using it because it makes clean up a cinch.)
2. Combine the “Flax egg ” ingredients in a small bowl and set it aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, add the “Dry ingredients”…
…and stir to combine.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the “Wet ingredients” and use either a stand or hand mixer to combine them all together using a medium speed. Then, add the “Flax egg” and mix it again for another 10 seconds or so.
5. Once that’s done, add half of the dry ingredients to that bowl and mix on low until mostly combined. Then, add the second half of the dry ingredients and mix again, this time starting on a low speed and then increasing to high as the dough gets thick and hard to mix. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed to ensure all flour gets incorporated. The dough will be very thick and hearty-looking when it’s all said and done!
6. Pour your granulated sugar onto a plate. Then, take a handful of dough, form it into a golfball-sized ball, and roll it around in the granulated sugar to evenly coat it on all sides. Place it on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat this process with the remaining dough to create a total of 16 dough balls at least three inches apart from one another on the baking sheets, (these bad boys spread!) Use a third baking sheet if your sheets are small.
7. Bake the cookies in your preheated oven for 10 minutes and not a minute longer! Over-baked ginger snaps are not tasty. Leave these glorious cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
At this point, your home will be filled with the glorious scent of ginger and cinnamon…. yum….
I hope you love these cookies as much as we do!!
Soft and Chewy Vegan Ginger Snaps (GF, too!)
Makes 16 Cookies
- 1 Tb. Ground Flaxseed (which you can buy HERE)
- 3 Tb. Water
- 1 1/4 cups (145 g.) Oat Flour (which you can buy HERE)
- 1 1/2 cups (250 g.) Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (which you can buy HERE)
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Dried Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 cup Vegan Butter, softened
- 1 cup, packed (220 g.) Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- About a half a cup of granulated sugar for rolling
*You can find flat parchment sheets HERE