Whether or not you’ve heard of or tasted tempeh in the past, you have to try this recipe! Why is this the case? Well for starters, this Sweet Chili Marinated Tempeh is seriously so delicious. So much so, it has become a total meal game changer in the Dunham household, simply because it’s so versatile. But before I share the easy steps on how to make it, let’s first talk about what tempeh is…
Tempeh is soaked and fermented soy beans that have been cooked and molded into a patty or cake-like shape. Sometimes, grains or seeds are added to tempeh, too, so be sure to read labels before buying it if you have food allergies of any kind.
Tempeh is super high in protein, iron and calcium, and since it’s fermented, it’s great for gut health, too.
I have to say – tempeh is an incredibly hearty and healthy food, but – just like tofu – it’s bland if eaten plain. This Sweet Chili Marinade recipe allows you transform that tempeh into a food that you’ll find yourself craving and dreaming about on a regular basis. I know from experience!
Honestly, this marinated tempeh has become my new addiction, and very rarely do I not have any ready to go in my fridge these days. And besides being delicious, it’s super easy to make. Let me show you…
1. First, chop your tempeh into 1/2 inch cubes. Set this aside for now.
2. Next, combine all remaining ingredients in an airtight storage container or gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Mix well.
3. Add the cubed tempeh to the marinade mixture and toss to coat on all sides.
4. Place the container or bag in your refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 5 days.
5. To cook, transfer the tempeh to a frying pan using a slotted spoon or fork, leaving as much liquid behind as possible. (But be sure to keep the remaining liquid for later!)
6. Cook the tempeh in your pan for about 3- 4 minutes on each side over medium/high heat.
7. At the last minute, add that remaining marinade liquid to the pan and stir just to warm it through, about 10 seconds.
At this point, you can add your marinated tempeh to all sorts of dishes, including fajitas, or vegetable and grain bowls…
or just on it’s own as a snack!
I hope you find this recipe as amazingly delicious as we do.
If you give this recipe a try, please leave a rating and a comment below – I’d love to know what you think!
Now, off to the kitchen to cook up another batch.
Sweet Chili Marinated Tempeh
- 16 oz. Tempeh (original, plain) typically two packages
- 4 Tb. Water
- 4 Tb. Soy Sauce, Tamari, or alternative
- 2 Tb. Chili Powder
- 4 Tb. Maple Syrup
- 2 Tb. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne (optional)
- First, chop your tempeh into 1/2 inch cubes. Set this aside for now.
- Next, combine all remaining ingredients in an airtight storage container or gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Mix well.
- Add the cubed tempeh to the marinade mixture and toss it to coat on all sides.
- Place the container or bag in your refridgerator for at least 4 hours. This will keep in the fridge uncooked for about 5 days or so.
- To cook, transfer the tempeh using a slotted spoon or fork to a frying pan, leaving as much liquid behind as possible. (But be sure to keep the liquid for later!)
- Cook tempeh in pan for about 3 minutes on each side over medium/high heat.
- At the last minute, add that remaining liquid to the pan and stir just to warm it through, about 5 - 10 seconds. That's it!