By far, my favorite thing about summer is the wide variety of colorful and delicious fruit in season! When summer rolls around, suddenly the produce section (and my kitchen counter!) become more bright and beautiful, and my mind starts spinning as I envision the recipes I want to create with all of the luscious fruit I’m surrounded by.
Therefore, I felt it was absolutely and totally necessary to take two of my summer fruit favorites, peaches and strawberries, and use them in the delicious salad you see pictured above. As per usual, this recipe is super simple, yet packed with a variety of flavors and textures, (as any salad should be!) Here is the recipe:
1. First, prepare the almonds by placing them in a dry frying pan over medium heat to begin the toasting process. Meanwhile, lay a sheet of parchment paper nearby.
2. Once the almonds start to toast and turn a light brown color, add your maple syrup, stir until almonds are coated, and then turn them out onto the parchment paper to cool. Quickly spread them out as much as you can using a spoon (they’ll be quite sticky!) and then lightly sprinkle with salt.
3. Next, place your lettuce in a medium sized mixing bowl….
… And then, toss with your desired amount of balsamic dressing.
4. Since I like to give everyone their own individual little salads (it’s a great way to encourage your family to eat more greens!) the next step for me is to divide the dressed lettuce amongst four little bowls, but feel free to keep it all in one big bowl for serving, if you so choose.
5. Next, add one tablespoon of beans to each bowl.
6. Then ¼ of the chopped peach and one chopped strawberry per bowl, too.
7. Next, add 1 tsp. of raisins to each lil’ bowl. (If you’re not planning on serving the salads right away, stop here and place the salads in the fridge until you’re ready for them.)
8. The last step: divide the glazed almonds amongst the four bowls, too. I like to keep all of the salad toppings on the surface rather than toss them in. It makes the salad look more enticing, and, everyone can easily see exactly what flavors they’re in for.
Strawberry Peach Salad with Glazed Almonds
- 5 – 6 big handfuls of Baby Romaine (or lettuce of your choice)
- 5-Ingredient Balsamic Dressing (recipe below)
- 1 ripe peach, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 4 medium or large strawberries, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 4 Tb. cannellini beans (I use organic canned beans, rinsed)
- 4 tsp. raisins
- 3 Tb. sliced almonds
- 1 Tb. maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
5-Ingredient Balsamic Dressing
- 1/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Pitted Dates OR 2 Tb. Maple Syrup
- 1 Medium Orange – peeled, seeded and chopped into chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder (optional)
Simply add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until the dressing is liquified. The end result is the most perfectly sweet, tangy and creamy balsamic dressing that you would never guess is oil-free.
*You can find flat parchment sheets HERE