Even with all of the pumpkin spiced everything that’s available these days, I recently found myself craving a stack of good (but decently healthy) pumpkin pancakes. Thus, I created this deliciously easy recipe you see here. Thankfully, these ingredients can be found any time of year, because sometimes, pumpkin pancakes are totally necessary in the middle of July!
Here are the simple steps to creating this breakfast time magic:
1. Get yourself a medium sized mixing bowl and combine the water and ground flaxseed. Let these two sit and get to know each other for about 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, using a whisk, combine the dry ingredients: Oat flour, Flour, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Pumpkin Pie Spice, All Spice, and Salt.
3. Now would be a good time to start pre-heating a skillet over medium heat. I like using the nice and hefty cast iron type.
4. Next, add the wet ingredients to our bowl: the Flax/Water combo, Pumpkin Puree, Maple Syrup and additional Water.
Now’s the time to stir it all together!
5. Before you begin the pancake cooking process, first add about a teaspoon of buttery spread (I used Earth Balance) to the pan, as well. Don’t skip this part – it’s a very important step in making the very best pumpkin pancakes of your life! No joke. Reason being, it will add a slight buttery flavor to the surface of your cakes, plus make the edges slightly crispy. Mmm – mmm!
6. Next, spoon the batter onto the pan to create your discs of wonderfulness. I usually go the 4-inch pancake route, but feel free to go bigger or smaller.
7. After about a minute or two when the edges start to look firm, flip those cakes over! They should reveal a nice golden brown color.
Give the pumpkin pancakes about another minute or two on that other side, then serve them up with a little (or a lot!) of pure maple syrup. Add another teaspoon of buttery goodness to the pan before cooking up the next round.
Hope you love them as much as I do!
Watch this video to see how I make these pancakes! (FYI – the recipe has been ever-so-slightly modified since this video was taped.)
Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes
Makes about eight 5-inch pancakes
- 1 Tb. Ground Flaxseed
- 3 Tb. Water
- ¼ cup (27 g.) Oat Flour
- 2/3 cup (115 g.) Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp. All Spice
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/3 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Tb. Maple Syrup (plus more for topping!)
- 1 cup + 1Tb. Water
- Non-Dairy Butter or oil for the pan
GLUTEN FREE VERSION: To make these gluten-free, add 2/3 cup (108 g.) Gluten Free All Purpose Flour instead of Whole Wheat Flour, and then only 1/2 cup + 1 Tb. of water or enough to create a loose (not overly thick) batter.