Even with all of the pumpkin spiced everything that’s available these days, I recently found myself craving a stack of good (but decently healthy) pumpkin pancakes. Thus, I created this awesomely easy and super d-lish recipe you see here! Thankfully, these ingredients can be found any time of year, because sometimes, pumpkin pancakes are totally necessary in the middle of July!
Here are the simple steps to creating this breakfast time magic:
1. Get yourself a medium sized mixing bowl and combine the water and ground flaxseed. Let these two sit and get to know each other for about 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a somewhat small-sized mixing bowl, using a whisk, combine the dry ingredients: Oat flour, All Purpose Flour, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Pumpkin Pie Spice, All Spice, and Salt.
Add these ingredients to the bowl with the flaxseed and water, but do not stir just yet!
3. Now would be a good time to start pre-heating a skillet over medium heat. I like using the nice and hefty cast iron type.
4. Next, add the wet ingredients to our bowl: Pumpkin Puree, Maple Syrup and Water.
Now’s the time to stir it all together!
5. Before you begin the pancake cooking process, first – spray the skillet with cooking spray. Then, add about a half teaspoon of buttery spread (I used Earth Balance) to the pan, as well. Don’t skip this part – it’s a very important step in making the very best pumpkin pancakes of your life! No joke. Reason being, it will add a slight buttery flavor to the surface of your cakes, plus make the edges slightly crispy. Mmm – mmm!
6. Next, spoon the batter onto the pan to create your discs of wonderfulness. I usually go the 4-inch pancake route, but feel free to go bigger or smaller.
7. After about a minute or two when the edges start to look firm, flip those cakes over! They should reveal a nice golden brown color.
Give the pumpkin pancakes about another minute or two on that other side, then serve them up with a little (or a lot!) of pure maple syrup. Add another teaspoon of buttery goodness to the pan before cooking up the next round.
Hope you love them as much as I do!
Watch this video to see how I make these pancakes!
Makes 7 – 8 – four inch pancakes Servings: About 2
1 T, Ground flaxseed
3 T. Warm Water
2/3 cup Oat Flour
1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
½ tsp. All Spice
½ tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Pumpkin Puree
2 T. Maple Syrup + more for topping!
½ cup + 2 tsp. Water
Earth Balance or other butter substitute + a small amount of oil